Wednesday, July 13, 2011

summer is here!

As you may have noticed, I've been unplugged for a while.  And I still plan on keeping my computer time to a minimum because it feels very wonderful to be outside in my garden, taking the kids to the park or library or just plain keeping up with my work here at the house.  We've also had so many activities that just keep us really busy.  It's summer!

we are now jam

We've enjoyed a few thunderstorms in the past few weeks and that smell of the desert after a storm is unforgettable.  It makes the weeds grow VERY healthy as well as the things we actually want to grow.  Our late frost put us back a few weeks and I've been holding my breath for our garden to mature.  Slowly, slowly, it's looking good out there.



 Thank you, everyone for sending me notes about Jon's dad.  What a shocker that was.  It's been a tough month; murky and unsettling.  I know that it's part of life.   Sometimes I stop and think, wow, he's really gone.  It's surreal.


We went to the mountains last weekend to our favorite place.  The kids call it the Naked Guy hike because a while back we were sitting in the meadow at the end of our hike and an old guy in his 70's came strutting through the meadow completely naked!  So, I'm always on the lookout for naked guys when we go here.

 


Amelia wasn't too thrilled with this snake she saw on the trail and refused to move past it.  I walked near it to show her that it wasn't going to get her.  Although you may be able to see in this picture that his mouth is wide open hissing at us.  She eventually got past it and caught up with the boys.

The flowers up in the mountains are always one of my favorite things.   Just a sampling.
  




The boys love to wade in the creek.  This year the water is really fast and deep because of all the snow we had.


At first they strip down to their underwear and then it's all the way naked.  I guess I found my naked guy!


We had a really scary moment when Eli fell into the fast part of the stream and was being taken into the deep water.  Luckily his big brother was close to him and grabbed his hand.   Eli and I had a long discussion after this about how his big brother was his hero.  Solomon was very proud.  Lots of hugs to go around after he got out of the water. 

I hope to see you again soon.  Happy Summer to you!  ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment