Sunday, August 11, 2013

fermenting the cukes


Lately, my preferred method for preserving cucumbers has been fermenting.  Too bad we planted so many Japanese cucumbers because I could have used them this year.  Instead, I ordered a lug from our local organic farmer.  You don't know what a lug is?  Neither did I.  But, I ordered one from the farmer.  It turns out that a lug is just a measurement that they use.  In this case it was a box of cucumbers.  Maybe 20-30 pounds? Anyway, a lot of cucumbers!!


Obviously I decided I was going to ferment a LOT of pickles this year. You might say I love fermented pickles. And last year I didn't make enough.




I may have forgotten one little detail which is where the heck I'm going to store all these jars!  I always make things work.




I am now the proud mama of these beautifully, bubbly, cloudy, garlicky fermented pickles.  I actually got one more larger jar and filled that up.  My husband took all the really large cucumbers left over and made a batch of bread and butter pickles today while I was at the store.  I think we're set in the pickle department?!

Do you ferment?

6 comments:

  1. Today I'm picking up 10 pounds of cucumbers that are destined for jars. I thought I'd try my luck fermenting some of them, too. Are you using grape leaves to make them crisper?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachael! In my opinion, they're easier than pickling. Yes, the grape leaves make them crisp. Good luck!

      Delete
  2. LOVE fermented pickles. Also have the problem of whaere to store the 2 gallons I've already made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My great grandma used to ferment veggies. I wish I could ask her where she kept them!

      Delete
  3. It has been too long since I visited you, my friend. Are you not blogging anymore? I know...the days are long and short at the same time. I hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete