Friday, August 5, 2011

growing food and flowers

We are well into summer gardening season and I have to say that I love the green-ess of it all.  Not at all lush by others' standards but we're at the peak of green in the the high desert.


The one thing about our area is that the nasty, prickly and dangerous weeds love hanging out with us.  Goat's heads anyone?  If you've ever stepped on a goat's head or ran over one with your bike, well, you know what I'm talking about.  They're stealth ninjas, talented at camouflaging themselves.  Not until they reach the size of a large cat, spread out several feet do I notice them.  And they produce the most beautiful little yellow flowers capable of sweet talking just about anyone.


What are we growing in our garden this year?  Lots of stuff.  The usual that everyone grows.  We have to have our tomatoes, carrots, basil, kale, sunflowers, onions, etc...  We're always learning and evolving with our garden.  I tell you what,  I will  never know everything about growing food.


This year we are growing quinoa for the first time.  Well, my daughter is growing it if you ask.  But, I water most days and do the weeding.  Technically, it's her garden.  Each one of us has our own garden area they keeps on getting bigger every year.  It's the nature of the beast.   This is our quinoa.  Isn't it beautiful?



I also enjoy growing flowers.  They make me happy. 


 



 

The thing about growing food is that some years I'll have a bumper crop of one thing and the next year not.  It keeps me on my toes. It humbles me and makes me feel grateful....ever so grateful for the farmers that grow food for my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment